Sadly we seem to spend more time visiting places in Pembrokeshire than travelling north into Ceredigion, that is if you don’t count Cardigan which is an almost daily visit. So here are our places of interest north of Poppit. I’m sure the tourist information will be less than impressed with my non cultured approach to our Welsh heritage.
-Mwnt. Is a great little beach which is accessed down a very steep path so not suitable for all. Decent enough place to swim, fairly sheltered (depending on the wind) and a great place to spot dolphins and seals. Take a walk up from the beach and around the headland and there are nearly always seals and dolphins are pretty often seen also.
-Aberporth. Again another great beach about 8 miles up the road from Cardigan, a few shops to look around and another nice way to spend a day!
– Cenarth Falls. This is small village between Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn, not actually sure if its in Ceredigion or Carmathanshire, anyway there is a great fast running river (the Teifi which ends up in Poppit) . The National Coracle centre is also here along with an old Mill. Its quite famous for the Salmon leaping as they go up river. There’s also a small tea room on site and a large car park. Not alot here really but a nice place to visit for an hour or so. Mum + Dad are 5mins from here so always a free cup of tea. 20mins from Poppit.
– Aberystwyth. Major university town and admin centre for this part of Wales. Geared up as a holiday resort area so lots of things to do. About an hour up the road from Cardigan
– Cwmtydu Beach. I’ve no idea if that is spelt correctly. Anyway small cove in the middle of nowhere (actually 25mins north of Cardigan. Not a lot there again but another beautiful place to visit. http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/G_Maps/attmap.php?id=12086
– Devils Bridge Falls. Tourist attraction 12 miles from Aberystwyth Has unique bridges and waterfalls. Been a while since I’ve been but worth the petrol for a visit.
– Aberaeron South Beach. Getting further and further away from Poppit, but lovely beach and tourist centre
-Cardigan Island Coastal Farm Park. You can see this on the hill opposite Poppit Sands at the back of the Cliff Hotel. Wasn’t really big enough when my girls working growing up so we didn’t visit. However I’ve known plenty of people say they’ve had a good time there and its not a big drive from Poppit.
-Butterfly Centre / Felinwynt Rainforest Centre. Bit sad I don’t even know the correct name, but tropical hot house with lovely butterflies and assorted animals. Nice place to go on a cold wet day !
– Bay to Remember. Great boat rides running out of Patch and Cardigan. See other article about them.